Let’s talk fleas!
What are these little critters?
They are external parasites, this means they live on the outside of their host.
Did you know that they are wingless insects and can jump 2 feet high.
They can be noticed on various part soft the body e.g. abdomen, base of the tail & head.
Here are a few things to look out for:
- “Flea dirt ” aka flea droppings. (small dark speckles)
- Flea Eggs. (small white speckles)
- Excessive scratching, licking or nibbling at the skin.
- Hair loss.
- Scabbing & hot spots.
What can cause fleas?
- The great outdoors.
- Fleas do well in a warm, humid climate.
- Adult fleas spend most of their lives on their host, laying eggs.
- Flea eggs can drop onto furniture/items within the household, until they find a host to live on.
Treatment & Prevention:
Its always a good idea to ask advice from your local vet.
Example of flea treatments would be as follows:
When brushing, keep a look out for any fleas or flea dirt.
Ensure to have the bedding cleaned and changed frequently.